Home / Breaking News / Officials: Second Hack Exposed Military and Intel Data

Officials: Second Hack Exposed Military and Intel Data

Hackers linked to China have gained access to the sensitive background facts submitted by intelligence and military personnel for security clearances, U.S. officials mentioned Friday, describing a cyberbreach of federal records drastically worse than first acknowledged.

The forms authorities believed may have been stolen en masse, recognized as Regular Type 86, demand applicants to fill out deeply individual details about mental illnesses, drug and alcohol use, past arrests and bankruptcies. They also demand the listing of contacts and relatives, potentially exposing any foreign relatives of U.S. intelligence personnel to coercion. Each the applicant’s Social Security quantity and that of his or her cohabitant is necessary.

In a statement, the White House mentioned that on June 8, investigators concluded there was “a high degree of confidence that … systems containing details connected to the background investigations of existing, former and prospective federal government personnel, and these for whom a federal background investigation was conducted, might have been exfiltrated.”

“This tells the Chinese the identities of practically everyone who has got a United States safety clearance,” mentioned Joel Brenner, a former top U.S. counterintelligence official. “That tends to make it extremely challenging for any of these people to function as an intelligence officer. The database also tells the Chinese an massive amount of details about just about everybody with a safety clearance. That is a gold mine. It helps you approach and recruit spies.”

The Workplace of Personnel Management, which was the target of the hack, did not respond to requests for comment. OPM spokesman Samuel Schumach and Jackie Koszczuk, the director of communications, have regularly said there was no evidence that safety clearance details had been compromised.

The White Property statement said the hack into the security clearance database was separate from the breach of federal personnel information announced final week — a breach that is itself appearing far worse than initial believed. It could not be learned whether or not the safety database breach happened when an OPM contractor was hacked in 2013, an attack that was discovered final year. Members of Congress received classified briefings about that breach in September, but there was no public mention of security clearance information and facts getting exposed.

Nearly all of the millions of security clearance holders, including some CIA, National Safety Agency and military particular operations personnel, are potentially exposed in the security clearance breach, the officials mentioned. More than four million men and women had been investigated for a security clearance as of October 2014, according to government records.

Concerning the hack of common personnel records announced final week, two men and women briefed on the investigation disclosed Friday that as lots of as 14 million current and former civilian U.S. government staff have had their facts exposed to hackers, a far higher figure than the 4 million the Obama administration initially disclosed.

American officials have said that cybertheft originated in China and that they suspect espionage by the Chinese government, which has denied any involvement.

About Brad Glenn

Brad Glenn
He was born in Tacoma, WA. He graduated from New York University with a degree in Computer Sciences, and now works for an international technology company in Texas. Alongside his day job, John enjoys blogging on tech sites and his personal blogs.

Check Also

Pentagon Taking into consideration Placing Tanks, Other Heavy Weapons in Baltics for Training

The U.S. military has proposed pre-positioning heavy weaponry like tanks and Bradley fighting automobiles in ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *